Thursday, April 21, 2011

Portal 2 Review *MAJOR SPOILERS -ENDING*

So for the past 1 1/2 days I've been puzzle solving, none of that Majong crap either, this is legitimate brain-buzzling fun. Portal 2 is the name of the game as it continues from its predecessor, "Portal". The story follows a girl named Chell as she makes her way through testing chambers created by a homicidal killer robot named GLaDos. At the beginning of the game you wake up in a simulated living room only to be greeted by a friendly robot named Wheatley who helps you throughout the first few test chambers, you are later parted with Wheatley as GLados doesn't hesitate to kill him, or so you think. Here's the rest of the story in a nut-shell:
- You continue to beat GLaDos' horrible chambers.
- You reunite with Wheatley who lights your way through dark corridors.
- Wheatley takes over GLaDos.
- Wheatley turns evil.
- GLaDos turns into a potato. (I'm actually not joking)
- You travel deep within Apertue Science's testing chambers where there is no one to boss you around.
- Except for Cave Johnson.
- Cave Johnson died a while back but his voice lives on as he instructs you to do some testing on the old Aperture Science labs.
- You see how the testing chambers develop as you progress through them. They start at around 1950 and continue until the 1970s where you can hear Cave's voice sound older.
- You reunite with Potato GLaDos who has turned to your side.
- You attach the Potato GLaDos to your portal gun as she tells you important information if you're interested in the story.
- Many more puzzles in Cave Johnson's testing areas.
- You return to modern Aperture science as Wheatley has taken over and destroyed most of it.
- You find out that if the robots (e.g. Wheatley and GLaDos) want power they have to ALWAYS test someone or something in Aperture Science.
ENDING:
- Chell and GLaDos attempt to escape as Wheatley tries to kill you.
- You and GLaDos made a good team and destroyed Wheatley in the most bizarre way:
-you sent a Portal to the moon (as one portal was just below Wheatley in Aperture labs) and it sucks Wheatley into outer space.
- GLaDos decides not to kill Chell with great hesitation and sends her outside and never to return to Aperture science. (You get to see outside but you don't control her)

I am skipping too much of this game to make it enjoyable to read. This game was absolutely fantastic! I loved every minute of it. Valve said when Portal 2 was released that it would only be 2.5 times longer than Portal 1 but I found it to be 5 times longer, maybe it's just because I spend time dilly-dallying.

This game had sooooo much comedy in it that I did not mention, you'll just have to play it for yourself, but it was so funny at some points in the game.

Although the game is only rated E10+ the creators really pushed the limits as far as it could go. There is swearing, dark humor and makes reference to Half-Life in many situations. If it were up to me I'd give it a T rating at the lowest.

What I just described does not do the campaign's justice, please pick up a copy of this game today, you won't regret it (if you enjoyed the first one that is).

This doesn't even scratch the surface of what this game is, there are many new abilities and things that make it even more fun and challenging such as:
- Laser cubes ( Allows you to redirect a laser beam)
- Repulsion Gel (Allows you to walk faster)
- Propulsion Gel (Allows you to jump higher)
- White Gel ( Allows you to place a portal wherever you couldn't before)
- Transfer Beams ( Allows you to float within the boundaries of the Beam)
and much more...

I played a good 8 hours on the single player campaign to finally beat it. Valve said the Co-op campaign is equally as long and I only played 30 minute on the co-op campaign, I will play more of it but PSN is down right now.

This game is incredible and I strongly suggest it to anyone who loves Valve, or Portal 1, or Steam, or science fiction, or even puzzle games, even though it is much more than that.

I give Portal 2 a generous 10/10 stars.

If you enjoyed this review please follow and add me on STEAM :
Da_Killa200
I can't play anything until June 18th when I get my new computer but when I do add me as I will play anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment